Fixed Term Contract until end June 2020
The SStS is a 24/7 safe emergency assessment hub. You will assist to enable the SStS to act as a single point of contact for all referrals for rough sleepers (via the Single Referral Form), capturing all vacancies and accommodation options for appropriate referral onward. This will include contributing to the design, development and implementation of a revised rough sleeper pathway ensuring all rough sleepers have somewhere safe to stay.
The SStS assessment hub will operate as a mobile hub, recognising the geographical extent of Cornwall. Three locations have been identified although are subject to change: The Dracaena Centre, Falmouth; Breadline in Penzance (via St Petroc’s) and Truro Resource Centre (via St Petroc’s), Other potential sites are located in Newquay and Bodmin. Main office base will be in Dolcoath, Camborne with travel paid to and from the Hub sites.
The Hub will rotate on a pre-agreed cycle (4-6 weeks) around the agreed venues with the staff team moving also. This may be flexed when needed in response to heightened need in a particular area of the county. All rough sleepers will be able to access the Hub in any location. Hubs will offer a sit up space for an average 72 hour period and will be offered to anyone who is identified and referred as being at imminent risk (within 24 hours of) or already rough sleeping. The Hub will be able to accept individuals assessed as Non-Priority Need who have nowhere to stay tonight, as well as rough sleeping referrals.
Each Hub will have concierge-style staffing overnight and specialist trained staff during the day who will undertake Homeless Reduction Act compliant assessments, advice on housing options, refer to and secure move-on accommodation and signpost/refer to other services, for example, health, care and support.
Support and Assessment Officers will work on a shift basis to include evening and weekend working, including bank holidays. Shifts will either be 0700-1500 or 1400-2200 weekdays with a 0900-1700 shift on weekends (approx. one weekend in every three will be worked with time off during the week.
- Work as part of a team to ensure the delivery of a 24/7 rota working at a SStS Assessment Hub a number of locations (at present, Truro, Penzance and Falmouth with Newquay and Bodmin expected).
- Engage with service users who present at a SStS Assessment Hub via referrals from Prevention and Engagement Teams, Street Outreach Teams, Prison and hospital discharges, Nos Da Kernow and other rough sleeper initiative projects.
- Encourage and take client self referrals and other agencies referrals (where applicable).
- Complete a full risk and needs assessments with each individual.
- Complete a Personal Housing Plan with clients and review progress and assist the client to achieve the outcomes agreed in the plan.
- Advocate on behalf of clients with relevant agencies e.g. drug/alcohol services, probation and health care services.
- Support service users in the ‘sit up’ and other accommodation provision ensuring that their stay is no longer than the prescribed 72hrs (some flexibility dependant on individual needs/complexity).
- Working within safe working practices and able to confidently and assertively manage challenging behaviours with a solution focused approach.
- Manage any SStS protocols such as smoking areas, and other designated areas.
- Contribute to organising and delivery of sessions for service users and working alongside volunteers/peer mentors.
- Complete domestic like duties some cleaning, washing and tidying to maintain health and safety policies.
Key Skills Required:
- Experience of working with vulnerable people or of using services
- Knowledge and understanding of the housing needs of rough sleepers
- Knowledge, experience and skills in giving advice, information and signposting
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.