Hourly rate (£12.34 – £14.02) (based on 37.5 hours per week)
We need to grow our team and if you’re interested in joining a major excavation project in central Cornwall we can offer you good pay, on the job training towards certificated courses, and for non-Cornwall residents, accommodation and subsistence.
You will be providing effective support to our client – Cornwall Archaeological Unit (CAU) – during the mitigation works for a major road scheme in central Cornwall.
We are looking for someone who has previous experience of undertaking archaeological fieldwork and is confident in supervising a team of site assistants. You will be working under the direction of a CAU Project Officer.
The role is for a current project that started in March 2021. The fieldwork is expected to last up to 6 months, with a potential for further post-excavation work on this project, and on other future potential projects.
• The ability to work as part of a happy and motivated team.
• Good communications skills and the ability to pass on your knowledge to less experienced members of the team.
• HND, foundation degree, or degree in archaeology or a related subject or equivalent experience.
• Membership of an appropriate professional body, such as the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists.
• A valid CSCS card.
• SSSTS certificate or a willingness to undertake the course
• Current driving license.
• A knowledge of archaeological recording systems is essential. Knowledge of site surveying techniques (GPS etc), specialist software such as AutoCad, ArcView GIS, and report writing experience is desirable.
Knowledge, skills & experience:
• Experience of commercial field archaeology and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: excavation, finds processing, or surveying techniques.
• Previous experience of site supervision.
• Knowledge and competence in the practice of professional requirements, standards, methods and techniques relating to archaeology.
• Knowledge and experience of Health and Safety requirements in a project environment.
• 24 days holiday per annum, pro rata.
• On the job training towards certificated courses (First Aid at Work, SSSTS, etc).
• PPE provided.
• Accommodation and subsistence for non-residents.
All sites are operating in accordance with Covid 19 Public Health guidelines.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.